The Extended Diploma is the equivalent of three A Levels. This course is for anyone who is interested in seeking employment within the public services such as: Armed forces, Royal Marines, Royal Navy, Air force, Army, Military Police, Emergency Services Fire Service, Police, Prison Service and Security

Meet our students Andrei Ilioiu

Andrei Ilioiu

I enjoy this course; it challenges me, and I’ve met a lot of people with the same aspirations.

Uniformed Public Services

Meet our students Donny Burke

Donny Burke

The football academy appealed to me as I get to play football while I study. I want to do an apprenticeship or get a job working in the sports industry, and my course equips me with the skills to explore these opportunities in the future. More...

Procision Football Academy

Meet our students Robbie Branigan

Robbie Branigan

I feel like I've improved massively since I first joined the Academy and it's put me in a great position moving forward as I've secured a place at university.

Procision Football Academy

• Description

This is a practical, work-related course where students learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands.

It introduces students to the diverse range of employment opportunities within the uniformed and non-uniformed public services and the requirements of those positions, while encouraging them to investigate roles that meet their interests, skills and abilities.

The full two-year Level 3 Extended Diploma in Public Services is equivalent to three A levels. This means that once students have successfully completed the course they can choose whether to progress to a career or to higher education.

To achieve this, students will cover a wide range of units, including but not restricted to:

• Government
    • Policies & the Public Services
    • Team Development & Leadership
    • Citizenship & Diversity
    • Understanding Discipline
    • Public Service Fitness
    • Physical Preparation for Public Services
    • Expedition Skills Outdoor
    • Activities Police Powers War
    • Conflict & Terrorism
    • Criminology
    • Major Incidents
    • Crime & its Effects
    • Law & the Legal System

Students will also complete a skills project, which will build their confidence and their employability skills as well as covering subjects such as equality and safeguarding which are designed to broaden their knowledge of these subjects and help with their employment potential.

Please note that some public services may place restrictions on certain roles including, but not limited to: medical conditions, physical attributes, fitness, nationality, age, and others. Please check with the relevant service for specific requirements or make an appointment with our Information, Advice and Guidance team.

• Entry Requirements

Students will need to have five GCSE passes at grade C or above, preferably including Maths and English. Alternatively, students will be accepted onto the course if they have an equivalent vocational qualification at a merit grade, and Functional Skills Maths and English, preferably at Level 2. All students must have achieved, or show the ability to achieve, Maths and English to GCSE grade C or equivalent. Where a student has not yet fulfilled this requirement, a functional skills qualification is a mandatory part of this course.

Students will need to be prepared to participate in a range of practical activities, and to support their peers in group activity assessments.

• Qualification

NCFE Level 3 Extended Diploma for entry to the Uniformed Services (QCF)

• Progression

Successful students could consider employment via an apprenticeship or progressing on to the extended diploma which could lead to further progression in HND or Degree in Public Services, Public Administration, Criminology or employment.

• Assessment

Course work will be assessed by assignments, which include reports, projects, presentations, practical work and oral work. Students will be assessed by a combination of assignments, practical work, projects and tests set by the Course Team. Students will produce a portfolio of work, which will be assessed against the grading criteria for the units. Assignments set will have an agreed hand in date that will need to be met in order to meet the awarding body guidelines. Some units will also need you to complete externally set and marked assessment material in addition to your portfolio work.

• Home Study

Students are expected to spend additional study hours in the Learning Resource Centre Library in order to successfully complete this programme. You will also need to complete research and homework on a regular basis in order to build up your knowledge and confidence with public services. It is expected that you will need to spend approximately 6 hours a week on your course work outside of your normal class time.

• Work Placement

During the course students will be expected to complete some work experience. This helps students understand the types of roles available in industry and the skills required to gain employment in the sector.

• Fees and Additional Costs

If you are over 18 there may be registrations fees if you have not previously registered with the exam board. Students will be offered the opportunity to visit exhibitions and shows and these may require students to pay entrance fees and transportation costs. Students will also take part in outdoor activities such as kayaking and rock climbing as well as an expedition, these activities may incur additional costs, including the need to have sensible clothing and footwear to undertake these activities. Students may also benefit from purchasing textbooks the details of these books will be discussed during induction when the latest edition of books will be recommended.

Code Start Fees*
UPSL32Y 242601 September 2024 Fee Information

Apply now

* Terms and conditions apply. The fees stated on this website are for guidance purposes only and should be checked before enrolment. Unless otherwise stated, fees shown are for tuition only, over one academic year. Where a course is longer than one academic year, the fees stated are for the first year, and the cost of the second or subsequent years will be discussed at interview. For details of fee remission for students over 19 click here. If you think you may be entitled to a concession or fee remission, or you would like more information on the additional costs associated with your chosen course, please contact us on 01635 845000 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..