Improve your practical knowledge and skills in the areas of automotive maintenance and vehicle electrical maintenance through this introductory qualification with a strong emphasis on hands-on assessment. The course is aimed at those just entering the automotive industry or progressing from Entry 3.

Meet our students Jacob Starling-Marwick

Jacob Starling-Marwick

I joined Newbury College because I want to become a mechanic, the course really appealed to me.

Motor Vehicle

Meet our students Joe Bevan

Joe Bevan

I’ve always been interested in joining Newbury College, working on cars is my passion. I have particularly enjoyed all the time in the motor vehicle workshop.

Motor Vehicle

Meet our students Lawrence Booker

Lawrence Booker

“I am really interested in Motor Mechanics which is why I chose Newbury College. I enjoy the working on vehicles in the workshop.”

Meet our students Phoebe Mitchell

Phoebe Mitchell

I chose to study mechanics at Newbury College as it offers a range of practical work to take part in. I enjoy problem solving and practical subjects and my course is ideal for that. So far my favourite part has been doing an engine rebuild, where we get given an engine and have to strip and rebuild the whole thing.

Motor Vehicle

• Description

This engaging and motivating programme is generally aimed at learners 16-19 years old who have a keen interest to learn about maintenance associated with vehicles and machinery used in the automotive sector. You will develop your knowledge and skills in a mainly practical setting which will help you prepare for further studies in a variety of automotive industries or employment.

The units cover a wide range of topics providing a comprehensive introduction to automotive maintenance and repair. Examples of topics that may be covered include:

• Health and Safety in the Workplace
    • Tools, Equipment and Consumable Materials for Vehicle Maintenance
    • Engine Operation and Components
    • Lubrication System Components and Maintenance
    • Engine Cooling System Components and Maintenance
    • Spark Ignition System Components and Maintenance
    • Spark Ignition Engine Fuel System Components and Maintenance
    • Compression Ignition Engine Fuel System Components and Maintenance
    • Exhaust System Components and Maintenance
    • Steering System Components and Maintenance
    • Suspension System Components and Maintenance
    • Braking System Components and Maintenance
    • Wheel and Tyre Construction and Maintenance
    • Vehicle Transmission System Components and Maintenance
    • Vehicle Electrical Circuits and Components
  • Entry Requirements

Students must have four GCSE passes at grade 3/D or above, to include Maths and English. Level 1 Certificate vocational qualification in Vehicle maintenance would be advantageous.

No previous experience is required, but an interest in automotive industry is key. Part-time work in the motor trade would be an advantage but is not essential.

• Qualification

IMI Level 1 Diploma in Automotive Maintenance

• Progression

You can typically progress to a higher level of learning such as a Level 2 Diploma, and apprenticeships or employment with training.

• Assessment

You will be assessed through a combination of assignments, practical work, projects and controlled assessments set by the awarding body. You will produce a portfolio of work which is assessed against the grading criteria for the units. Assignments are set on Teams, Newbury College's online learning environment and will have an agreed submission date. In addition to portfolio work, some units may also include externally marked assessment material, sat under controlled conditions.

• Home Study

Homework will be set via Teams, Newbury College's online learning platform. You are expected to allocate approximately 2 - 3 hours per a week on research and homework outside of normal class time in order to build up knowledge, confidence and successfully complete the programme. This may be completed at home or in the Student Hub.

• Work Placement

You will complete a work placement. This helps to reinforce the understanding of the types of roles available within industry and enhance the skills required to gain future employment in the sector.

• Fees and Additional Costs

You will need to supply your own overalls and boots, pens, paper and ruler etc. There are also technical books required for the course. You are encouraged to purchase your own tools for use within the workshop. Funding for the course is age dependant.

Code Start Fees*
MVL1 242501 September 2024 Fee Information

Apply now

* Terms and conditions apply. The fees stated on this website are for guidance purposes only and should be checked before enrolment. Unless otherwise stated, fees shown are for tuition only, over one academic year. Where a course is longer than one academic year, the fees stated are for the first year, and the cost of the second or subsequent years will be discussed at interview. For details of fee remission for students over 19 click here. If you think you may be entitled to a concession or fee remission, or you would like more information on the additional costs associated with your chosen course, please contact us on 01635 845000 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..