Have you ever watched hospital dramas? Or have you ever wondered how your body works? Perhaps you have wondered about your children's growth and development? Aimed at beginners, this course will cover the basics of human biology, looking at the building blocks of life and the different systems in the body.
The course will cover the basic principles of human biology with the aim of understanding the blueprint of life, the importance of organisation in the human body and the roles of different organs systems.
Topics will include:
- What is DNA? What is the role of DNA in our bodies? How can it be used in industry?
- What are the different systems in the body? How do they function? How do they work together?
- What happens when a part of the human body does not function normally?
By the end of the course students will be able to:
- Describe the role of DNA in the human body
- List different systems in the body (such as the skeletal system, cardiovascular system and digestive system) and identify their purposes
- Recognise how different systems in the body work together
*PLEASE NOTE - The running of this course is subject to receiving sufficient enrolment numbers. Newbury College reserve the right to close, cancel or postpone a course if it has not received the minimum required enrolment number by the scheduled start date. In the case of cancellation, enrolled learners will be notified one week prior to the start of the course.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course.
A basic level of numeracy and literacy is required.
This course does not lead to a formal qualification.
Progress on this course will be tested through worksheets, quizzes, observation, peer and lecturer feedback, and written work.
Learners would benefit from undertaking revision at home of information covered in class.
Students do not need to be in relevant work to undertake this course.
Students can progress onto other related courses including Introduction to Forensic Science or other higher level science courses, with the appropriate entry requirements.
Fees and Additional Costs
There are no additional costs associated with this course.