This qualification aims to help students develop their knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia. It covers areas such as person-centred care, the influence of positive communication methods, issues around the use of medication for those with dementia and the importance of providing appropriate activities.
This qualification consists of seven mandatory units covering:
- Unit 1: Dementia awareness
- Unit 2: The person centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
- Unit 3: Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
- Unit 4: Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
- Unit 5: Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person centred approach
- Unit 6: Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
- Unit 7: Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
The course will take up to 25 weeks to complete and is available throughout the year enabling students to choose when they wish to study. Students are supported by a personal tutor on a one-to-one basis throughout their course.
You will be issued with an Induction Workbook during your first discussion with your tutor; this workbook will determine whether you are suitable for the course. Students are aged 19+ and have lived in the UK/EU for the last three years. A basic level of numeracy and literacy is required.
Ages 24+: Our L2 Distance Learning qualifications are free to EU/UK Nationals regardless of previous qualifications.
Ages 19 to 23 are eligible for free courses if they have already achieved a full L2 qualification or equivalent. Please contact us for clarification.
Ages 19 to 23 who have not already achieved a full L2 qualification may be subject to costs. Please contact us for clarification.
Basic computer skills to operate the Online Learning Platform.
NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia Care
Assessment will be through successful completion of the end-of-module assessments. These assessments will be tutor marked, internally moderated and then moderated by the awarding body.
Study will be home-based and at the student's discretion within the timeframe stipulated by tutor.
Students do not have to be in current work in this sector.
NCFE Level 2 Mental Health Awareness, NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care, NCFE Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of End of Life Care.
Fees and Additional Costs
Our Level 2 Distance Learning courses are available for FREE to UK/EU nationals aged 19 and over.