This qualification is ideal for a wide range of students who are interested in improving their understanding of nutrition and healthy eating. It will be particularly relevant for those working, or intending to work, in settings such as sport and recreation, exercise and fitness, hospitality and catering or health care, providing specific skills and knowledge to support their role in the workplace.
This qualification aims to:
- increase understanding of the principles of healthy eating and the role of food in maintaining health
- increase confidence in planning and achieving a healthy diet
- provide an understanding of how an individual's dietary requirements change throughout their life
- provide an understanding of food labelling and the ability to use information from food labels
- provide information on eating disorders
- increase understanding of the role of a healthy diet for weight management
- increase understanding of the principles of food safety in a home environment.
To be awarded the NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health, students are required to successfully complete six mandatory units.
This qualification consists of six mandatory units:
- Unit 01 Explore principles of healthy eating (five credits)
- Unit 02 Consider nutritional needs of a variety of individuals (four credits)
- Unit 03 Use food and nutrition information to plan a healthy diet (four credits)
- Unit 04 The principles of weight management (one credit)
- Unit 05 Understanding eating disorders (one credit)
- Unit 06 Principles of food safety for the home environment (one credit)
The course will take up to 25 weeks to complete and is available throughout the year enabling students to choose when they wish to study. Students are supported by a personal tutor on a one-to-one basis throughout their course.
You will be issued with an Induction Workbook during your first discussion with your tutor; this workbook will determine whether you are suitable for the course. Students must be aged 19+ and have lived in the UK/EU for the last three years. A good level of numeracy and literacy is required.
Ages 24+: Our L2 Distance Learning qualifications are free to EU/UK Nationals regardless of previous qualifications.
Ages 19 to 23 are eligible for free courses if they have already achieved a full L2 qualification or equivalent. Please contact us for clarification.
Ages 19 to 23 who have not already achieved a full L2 qualification may be subject to costs. Please contact us for clarification.
Students should also have a keen interest in nutrition. Students would be also benefit from having knowledge from either a sports or care related perspective or from a healthy and beauty background. Basic computer skills to operate the Online Learning Platform are advisable.
NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Nutrition and Health
Assessment is through successful completion of the end-of-module assessments. These assessments are tutor marked, internally moderated and then moderated by the awarding body.
Study will be home-based and at the student's discretion within the timeframe stipulated by tutor.
Students do not have to be in current work in this sector.
Students may wish to progress on to other sports or health related qualifications or on to higher level nutrition courses. NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Preparing to Work in Adult Social Care.
Fees and Additional Costs
Our Level 2 Distance Learning courses are available for FREE to UK/EU nationals aged 19 and over.