This course helps adults improve their personal numeracy skills in everyday contexts from work and life. Developing these skills is essential for progression in further study or employment opportunities. The course is for anyone who wants to improve their numeracy skills and who does not already hold a Level 2 Mathematics qualification.
The aim of the qualification is to develop an understanding and skills in:
- Representing - selecting the mathematics and information to model a situation
- Analysing - processing and using mathematics
- Interpreting - interpreting and communicating the results of the analysis
Students work towards a nationally recognised qualification and learn basic numeracy skills alongside more advanced problem solving skills.
- understand routine and non-routine problems in familiar and unfamiliar contexts and situations
- identify the situation or problems and identify the mathematical methods needed to solve them
- choose from a range of mathematics to find solutions
- apply a range of mathematics to find solutions
- use appropriate checking procedures
- interpret and communicate solutions to multistage practical problems in familiar and unfamiliar contexts and situations
- draw conclusions and provide mathematical justifications
There are no formal entry requirements. However, all applicants are required to undertake an interview and diagnostic assessment to ensure we place them on the correct course.
Learners should be able to demonstrate a good knowledge of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division skills.
Edexcel Functional Skills Mathematics Level 2
There is one formal assessment comprising of a non-calculator section (25 minutes) and a calculator section (90 minutes). The student and tutor will negotiate an individual learning programme and set individual targets. Class assessments are on going and controlled assessments will take place when the teacher feels that the students are ready.
Homework and/or self-directed study will normally take between one and two hours per week.
This course does not require learners to participate in work experience.
Qualifications at Level 1 and 2 can be used to fulfil the entry requirements for further study. Students progress through Levels 1 and 2 and can then apply for a GCSE Mathematics course.
Fees and Additional Costs
There are no additional costs associated with this course - subject to not having a Level 4 qualification or a C/4 grade in Maths.