This course helps adults improve their personal numeracy skills in everyday contexts from work and life. Developing these skills is essential for progression in further study or employment opportunities. The course is for anyone who wants to improve their numeracy skills and who does not already hold a Level 2 Mathematics qualification.
The aim of the qualification is to develop an understanding and skills in:
- Representing - selecting the mathematics and information to model a situation
- Analysing - processing and using mathematics
- Interpreting - interpreting and communicating the results of the analysis
Students work towards a nationally recognised qualification. Students learn basic numeracy skills alongside more advanced problem solving skills.
- understand practical problems in familiar and unfamiliar contexts and situations, some of which are non-routine
- identify and obtain necessary information to tackle the problem
- select mathematics in an organised way to find solutions
- apply mathematics in an organised way to find solutions to straightforward practical problems for different purposes
- use appropriate checking procedures at each stage
- interpret and communicate solutions to practical problems, drawing simple conclusions and giving explanations
There are no formal entry requirements. However, all applicants are required to undertake an interview and diagnostic assessment to ensure we place them on the correct course.
Learners should be able to demonstrate a good knowledge of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division skills.
Edexcel Functional Skills Mathematics Level 1
There is one formal assessment comprising of a non-calculator section (25 minutes) and a calculator section (90 minutes). The student and tutor will negotiate an individual learning programme and set individual targets. Class assessments are ongoing and controlled assessments will take place when the teacher feels that the students are ready.
Homework and/or self-directed study will normally take between one and two hours per week.
This course does not require learners to participate in work experience.
Qualifications at Level 1 and 2 can be used to fulfil the entry requirements for further study. Students can progress through Levels 1 and 2 maths and can then apply for a GCSE Mathematics course.
Fees and Additional Costs
There are no additional costs associated with this course - subject to not having a level 4 qualification or a C/4 grade in Maths.