Develop advanced technical skills on this highly practical course and gain an excellent understanding of the music industry. Learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands.

Meet our students Abi Hull

Abi Hull

I have learnt invaluable lessons throughout my time at UCN and I will carry these skills with me throughout my career in the Creative Industries. More...

HNC in Graphic Design

Meet our students Anna Bayliss

Anna Bayliss

The practical work and the chance to use the computer software in a more in-depth programme was the reason I chose to study at Newbury College. I enjoy being able to be creative in my learning.

Creative Media

Meet our students Cameron Horner

Cameron Horner

While studying at Newbury College and University Centre Newbury, I gained the confidence to explore different subject areas until I found the right course to support my future career. I recently completed my Graphic Design HND, during which I have had the opportunity to work on live projects, gaining valuable experience while studying. More...

Graphic Design HND

Meet our students Jake Lambourn

Jake Lambourn

Since leaving the College I have worked for various companies around the South East, including design agencies, print and digital marketing companies, start-ups and charities. More...

Apprenticeship in IT

Meet our students Thea Clarke

Thea Clarke

In undertaking the HNC Graphic Design course I feel that I have been able to develop both my skills and knowledge to a level which would be required in the commercial environment. It has been a lot of work, but totally worth the end result. More...

HNC in Graphic Design

• Description

The course is designed to provide students with a range of skills that will broaden both job and higher education opportunities. Based in the Music and Media Centre, students learn a broad range of skills including:

• Acoustics
    • Keyboarding
    • Mixing
    • Recording and Editing

Students will also complete a portfolio including a fully produced and mastered album, pop video, music-based website and scores for film sequences.

Students also complete a project which builds confidence and employability skills, as well as covering subjects such as equality and safeguarding.

The Extended Diploma carries the same UCAS points as three A Levels.

• Entry Requirements

Five GSCE passes at grade 4/C or above, preferably to include Maths and English or an equivalent vocational qualification at merit grade, and Functional Skills Maths and English, preferably at Level 2.

Students how have not yet achieved grade 4/C in GCSE Maths and English, will study Functional Skills or GCSE Maths and English as part of their course.

Students must have a keenness to learn new techniques and apply in a wide range of applications. Students must also be able to work from a client brief and as part of a team. Students need to be flexible in their approach as some working hours will be outside of the normal College attendance pattern.

• Qualification

RSL Subsidiary Diploma for Music Practitioners RSL Extended Diploma for Music Practitioners

• Progression

Successful students can progress on to an HNC/HND, university courses or employment.

• Assessment

Students are assessed through a combination of assignments, practical work, projects and controlled assessments set by the awarding body. Students produce a portfolio of work which is assessed against the grading criteria for the units.

Assignments set have an agreed hand in date that needs to be met in order to meet the awarding body guidelines. In addition to portfolio work, some units may also include externally marked assessment material, sat under controlled conditions.

• Home Study

Students are expected to spend additional study hours in the Learning Resource Centre in order to successfully complete this programme. Students also need to complete research and homework on a regular basis in order to build up knowledge and confidence within the media industry. Students need to spend approximately 6-10 hours a week on course work outside of normal class time.

• Work Placement

Students are expected to complete some work experience. This helps students understand the types of roles available in industry and the skills required to gain employment in the sector.

• Fees and Additional Costs

Students are offered the opportunity to visit location sites, exhibitions and shows and these may require students to pay entrance fees and coach costs. Students may also benefit from purchasing text books, the details of these books will be discussed during induction when the latest edition of books will be recommended.

Code Start Fees*
MUSICL32Y 242601 September 2024 Fee Information

Apply now

* Terms and conditions apply. The fees stated on this website are for guidance purposes only and should be checked before enrolment. Unless otherwise stated, fees shown are for tuition only, over one academic year. Where a course is longer than one academic year, the fees stated are for the first year, and the cost of the second or subsequent years will be discussed at interview. For details of fee remission for students over 19 click here. If you think you may be entitled to a concession or fee remission, or you would like more information on the additional costs associated with your chosen course, please contact us on 01635 845000 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..