This is a one year course that develops an understanding of working in a range of caring professions and environments and will support you in developing a strong understanding of how you would like to progress with your journey in the caring sector . The course gives you the opportunity to explore and develop both personally and professionally and will prepare you to progress and make the most of the opportunities available to you in the future.

Meet our students Elizabeth Lefever

Elizabeth Lefever

I’ve always wanted to work in the childcare industry and chose this course as the best option to further my career. I like the fact that I have work placements in nurseries and schools to get more experience and become more confident. The support staff and teachers are happy to help and full of encouragement.

Child Care

Meet our students Laura Pearce

Laura Pearce

As a teaching assistant, I find the course extremely relevant to my job. The course has taught me a lot about children’s learning development, and I’m applying what I’ve learnt so far within my role at the school where I work. Studying for a degree in Newbury is an advantage to me. I was thrilled that UCN’s partnership with the University of Reading made this possible for me. More...

Foundation Degree in Children's Development and Learning

• Description

The course is made up of a range of units of work that include understanding service provisions, principles and values, safeguarding, communication, equality and inclusion , , communication , mental health and health and safety . The course gives you the opportunity for personal development with a focus on learning, employability, and life skills. There is an opportunity to undertake work experience to use the skills you will develop through the course and support the transition into level two

Students are required to wear uniform when on work placement and the process for collecting this uniform will be explained at induction. We encourage student feedback and good attendance at review evenings.

• Entry Requirements

Four GCSE passes at grade 2 or above, preferably to include Maths and English, or a vocational qualification at pass or above, and Functional Skills Maths and English preferably at Entry Level 3. Students need to be positive nature and have a caring and practical approach to work.

• Qualification

NCFE / CACHE Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Health, Social Care and Children's and Young Peoples settings

• Progression

L2 Diploma for the Early Years Practitioner
    L2 Health and Social care

• Assessment

This course is continually assessed using various methods including the completion of assignments.

• Home Study

A minimum of two hours per week as appropriate.

• Work Placement

Student have the opportunity to complete 1-week work experience in a vocational setting of their choice

• Fees and Additional Costs

For your work placement you will need to purchase a college logo polo shirt and sweatshirt at a cost of approximately £30.00.

Code Start Fees*
CHILDCL1 242501 September 2024 Fee Information

Apply now

* Terms and conditions apply. The fees stated on this website are for guidance purposes only and should be checked before enrolment. Unless otherwise stated, fees shown are for tuition only, over one academic year. Where a course is longer than one academic year, the fees stated are for the first year, and the cost of the second or subsequent years will be discussed at interview. For details of fee remission for students over 19 click here. If you think you may be entitled to a concession or fee remission, or you would like more information on the additional costs associated with your chosen course, please contact us on 01635 845000 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..