This one-year course develops skills in hairdressing is for students wanting to gain a widely recognised qualification or to extend their current skills. The hairdressing units at Level 1 include shampooing and conditioning, styling and creating an image.

Meet our students Liza-Jane Lamb

Liza-Jane Lamb

I have immensely enjoyed my time at the College, and thanks to the dedication of the tutors, I will be forging a new career in hairdressing armed with all the skills and attributes needed to be successful in my chosen profession.

Hairdressing

Meet our students Nichola Connorton

Nichola Connorton

The course has helped me develop my skills so much and my knowledge on the subject has been expanded. I can’t wait to use my skills within a salon.

Beauty Therapy

• Description

Students will learn a wide range of basic skills including shampooing, conditioning treatments, styling and dressing long hair

Students have the chance to go on external visits to different shows around the country. We also have guest speakers in to give practical and theory workshops.

There are practical and theory elements to the course and students will have to produce a portfolio of evidence.

Students must ensure attendance remains above 90% to be successful on the course.

• Entry Requirements

You will need to have four GCSE passes at grade 2 (E) or above, preferably including Math and English. Alternatively, you may be accepted on the course if you have an equivalent vocational qualification at an equivalent level to GCSE grades 2 along with functional Level 1 Maths and English.

Enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. Good communication skills as you will be treating clients.

• Qualification

VTCT NVQ Certificate in Hairdressing and Barbering

• Progression

From Hairdressing Level 1 students can progress to Hairdressing Level 2 full time. or students may want to start an apprenticeship. They could also progress into beauty or media make-up.

• Assessment

A combination of observation of practical work on clients, projects, assignments, case studies and written and oral questioning. Students build a portfolio of evidence.

• Home Study

Four hours a week would be a requirement for home study work.

• Work Placement

Students will be required to carry out hairdressing services on real clients in the College's hairdressing salon. In addition, students will have to source mandatory work experience to enhance their programme.

• Fees and Additional Costs

There will be a cost for both kit and uniform. This price is available upon request from the hairdressing department and will be discussed at interview.

Code Start Fees*
HAIRL1 242501 September 2024 Fee Information

Apply now

* Terms and conditions apply. The fees stated on this website are for guidance purposes only and should be checked before enrolment. Unless otherwise stated, fees shown are for tuition only, over one academic year. Where a course is longer than one academic year, the fees stated are for the first year, and the cost of the second or subsequent years will be discussed at interview. For details of fee remission for students over 19 click here. If you think you may be entitled to a concession or fee remission, or you would like more information on the additional costs associated with your chosen course, please contact us on 01635 845000 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..