How it works
Community Learning programmes at Newbury College are offered in the following ways:
One day, Bite Size workshops
Designed as a taster or an introduction to a subject, or just as a fun one-off session.
Short, non-accredited, leisure courses
Usually delivered in short weekly sessions over a period of 2-4 weeks.
Longer, vocational courses
Usually run in 2-hour sessions over a period of 8 or more weeks and include a qualification on completion.
When enrolling on the longer Community Learning courses, students will be given the option of undertaking a short accredited award. The award involves keeping a portfolio of work completed over the duration of the course and completing a student workbook. The award will be focused around the subject of the course, i.e. a certificate in Dressmaking, Upholstery, Photography.
If you decide you wish to attend a course but do not wish to undertake the award, you can still join the course and complete the first 2-3 weeks as a short, non-accredited leisure course. The fees will be adjusted depending on whether or not you take an award.
Adult leisure courses at Newbury College are are offered in subjects such as Upholstery, Ceramics, Art, Cooking, Welding, Bricklaying, Plumbing, Creative Writing, Web Design, IT and many more. Learners can choose from either a short, one day Bite Size session or a short or long weekly course (see above). Upon enrolment to the longer weekly courses, learners will be given the option of taking the course for leisure purposes or working towards a nationally recognised qualification. For more information on our ACL courses please call 01635 845213.
Family Learning courses are designed for parents/guardians and children to work together on a fun and creative project. Courses usually run during school holidays and range from arts and crafts to cookery and more.
Please note: Children must be at least four years of age to enrol.
Keeping Active provision are courses that are delivered for the elderly, often with complex disabilities and learning needs, within residential care homes and day centres across West Berkshire. Courses are specifically designed to increase memory function, improve fine motor skills and provide therapeutic benefits. The courses are designed to meet the needs of the learner, in subjects such as Arts and Crafts, Jewellery Making, Reminiscence, Pottery, Flower Arranging, Gardening and many more.
Newbury College also offer a range of targeted courses, which are designed to meet the needs of learners with complex learning difficulties and disabilities, vulnerable adults and minority groups. Courses are offered in numerous subjects, such as English, Maths, Confidence Building, Personal Financing and Budgeting, Team Work, Communication Skills, Job Skills, Interview Skills, ESOL, and often consist of a nationally recognised qualification. Targeted courses can be held in schools, community centres, village halls, hospitals, secure facilities and day centres across West Berkshire.
- Acrylics for Beginners - Exploring Colour
- Acrylics for Beginners - Further Techniques
- Acrylics for Beginners - Personal Development
- Acrylics for Beginners - The Basics
- Acrylics for Beginners - Using Mixed Media
- Advanced Dressmaking Workshop
- An Introduction to a Domestic Sewing Machine
- An Introduction to Botanical Ink Making for Beginnners
- An Introduction to Gelli Plate Printing
- An Introduction to Handbuilding & Throwing
- An Introduction to Macrame
- An Introduction to Natural Botanical Dyeing
- Autumn Wreath Workshop
- Ballroom & Latin Dance - Advanced Level 1
- Ballroom & Latin Dance - Advanced Level 2
- Ballroom & Latin Dance - Beginners
- Ballroom & Latin Dance - Improvers Level 1
- Ballroom & Latin Dance - Improvers Level 2
- Ballroom & Latin Dance - Intermediate
- Ballroom and Latin Dance Taster Day
- Bite Size : An Introduction to Gelli Plate Printing
- Botanical Ink Making & Drawing from Nature
- Bridal Flowers
- Ceramic Christmas Decorations
- Ceramic Easter Bunting Workshop
- Charleston Workshop
- Christmas Floral Table Arrangements
- Christmas Wreath Workshop
- Classic Floral Designs
- Confidence Building
- Creative Clay for Beginners
- Drawing and Painting
- Drawing for Beginners - Creative Approaches
- Drawing for Beginners - Exploring Materials
- Drawing for Beginners - Exploring Subjects
- Drawing for Beginners - The Basics
- Drawing Techniques
- Dressmaking for Beginners
- Dry Point Printing - Recycled Tetra Pak
- French Beginners
- French Intermediate
- Introduction to Psychology
- Italian Beginners
- Italian for your Holidays
- Italian Intermediate
- Machine Sewing for Beginners
- Microsoft Excel for Beginners
- Microsoft Excel for Beginners (Introduction)
- Microsoft Office 365 for Beginners - Working smarter online
- Microsoft Word and PowerPoint for Beginners
- Microsoft Word for Beginners (Introduction)
- Mixed Media Techniques
- Modern Sequence Dance Workshop
- Natural Botanical Dyeing on Textiles
- Needle Felting
- Organic Soap Making
- Painting Animals and Birds
- Painting Faces & Figures
- Painting Flowers, Plants & Trees
- Painting in Acrylics
- Painting Landscapes & Seascapes
- Reclaim, Recycle & Emboss
- Recycled Festive Paper Chains
- Resist This!
- Slow Foxtrot Workshop
- Spanish Advanced
- Spanish Beginners
- Spanish for your Holidays
- Spanish Intermediate Year One
- Spanish Intermediate Year Two
- The Ballroom Dance Workshop
- Viennese Waltz Workshop
- Visible Mending Workshop
- Watercolour Painting
- Wedding Dance - Part One