RYA Day Skipper Shorebased.
OverviewImprove knowledge of seamanship and navigation - for beginners and for those with some experience. Learners need to bring the following to the first class: Pens, pencils (HB and BB), eraser and lined notepaper.
On completion, learners will have dealt with the basic concepts and be qualified to undertake the RYA Day Skipper practical training and exam.
The course will cover the following:
- Understanding the basics of the International Regulations for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea
- Use of navigational charts (understanding symbols and plotting positions)
- Major safety requirements as set out by the RYA
- Calculating Tidal Depth
- Estimated Position and Course to Steer
- Understanding and use of the BBC
- Coastguard and Internet weather forecasts for basic sea safety
- Tying knots and understanding the choice and use of ropes so as to moor and anchor safely
- Interpretation and use of the IALA system of buoyage
- Current environmental and pollution concerns and controls.
*PLEASE NOTE- This course running is subject to receiving a minimum of 8 enrolments. Newbury College reserve the right to close, cancel or postpone a course if it has not received the minimum required enrolment number by the scheduled start date. In the case of cancellation, enrolled learners will be notified 3 days prior to the start of the course and are entitled to claim for a full refund of their course fees.
ProgressionSuccessful candidates can progress to the RYA Dayskipper practical courses and to the RYA Yacht Master programme.
AssessmentLearners will be assessed by informal tests, written work, tutor feedback and an exam.
Entry RequirementsThere are no formal entry requirements for this course.
QualificationsRYA Dayskipper (Shorebased)
Home StudyHomework is essential to the qualification and learners will need to put aside approx 1 - 2 hours a week to complete assignments.
SkillsLearners will need basic literacy, numeracy and ICT skills.
Work PlacementLearners do not need to be in relevant work to undertake this course.
Additional CostsLearners will need to purchase a study pack, approximately 25 (including the exam fees) and RYA Navigation Tables, approximately 5 at the first class. Learners will also need to have a Portland plotter and 8 inch single handed dividers.
|Code||Location||Start||End||Times||Day||Duration||Cost (Year 1)|
|99667 121301||Newbury College||21/11/2012||26/06/2013||19:00 to 21:00||Thursday||25 Weeks||£425.00|